Cleaning Jewelry in Photoshop
Cleaning jewelry in Photoshop is the most technical process. The jewelry requires cleaning at the pixel level. For one, you have to do it with great care not to destroy any information of the item and also, make it glittery and shiny with clear surface. Below are the Photoshop that needs to be followed for achieving the desired results.
1. Open the jewelry image using Photoshop. File >> Open or CTRL + O
2. First step is to make adjustments. Go to the ‘Image’ Menu. Move your cursor to ‘Adjustments’ and select ‘Curves’.
3. Make adjustments in the curve by raising it. The idea is to lighten up the image. So raise the upper-part of curve by a little. Press OK.
4. Next step is to make selection of the jewellery item. According to the shape of the jewellery, the best tool is Lasso-tool. Select the ‘Polygon-Lasso-Tool’ from the drop-down menu of Lasso tool in the left-side toolbar of Photoshop.
5. Now make the selection using Lasso tool.
6. Save the selection on a separate layer i.e. Layer1. Now create a new layer by pressing ‘Ctrl’ + ‘J’ or by going to the layer tab in the top menu bar and select a layer from the drop-down menu of ‘New’.
7. Fill the layer with a color of your choice and place it below the layer1.
8. Open the properties of this new filled layer by double clicking on the layer2 thumbnail. Set the gradient-background of this layer choosing the light gray to white color. Press OK.
9. If the jewelry item is ‘silver’ like this image, then adjust the hue & saturation value to get the ideal color adjustments. Go to the Image tab on the top menu bar of Photoshop. From the adjustments menu, select ‘Hue & Saturation’. A window will open. Lower the saturation value a little. Set this value according to your image. I have changed the value to -30.
10. Adjust the curve of the image again. Select layer 1 before making amendments in the curve. In order to make the jewelry item lighter, raise the curve upwards. Press OK.
11. The image isn’t clear enough. For this, I will sharpen it so as to clarify the pixels more. Go to filter tab in the top menu bar. Move the cursor on ‘Sharpen’. From the drop-down menu, select smart sharpen. It helps in bringing shinier look to the image. Press OK.
12. Make a new layer.
13. Select the brush tool from the left-side toolbar of Photoshop. Change the foreground color to grey and draw a dot. With this dot, I will make the shadow of the item. So, set the size according to the size of the item.
14. Move this new layer below the layer2 and above the ‘Background layer’. Now it will appear as the dot is under the jewelry item. Press ‘Ctrl + T’ to transform the dot. Now flatten it using the boundary dots of the image. Also, lower the opacity by some value from the option-bar under the top menu.
15. Your image is now ready. Save it.