Create Pixel Explosion Effect in Photoshop
This tutorial is about giving a picture the pixel-explosion effect. It is really fun thing to do with pictures as it gives them an idealistic look. I will use the square-brush tool to create the pixel impact. Succeeding are the steps:
1. Open the image in Photoshop.
3. Use the tool to select the girl in the image by dragging it over the image. A dashed-line will appear on the outline of the selection.
4. Right-click on the selection and select the option ‘Layer-via-copy’.
5. From the layers palette, select the thumbnail of ‘layer 0’. Select the marquee tool from the tool bar and draw a square around the image. Right click on the square and click on ‘fill’ from the menu.
6. A dialog box will open. Make sure that the ‘use’ is set to ‘content-aware’.
7. Copy the layer 1 by pressing ‘Ctrl’ + ‘J’ from the keyboard. Select the layer-1 from the layers palette. Add a layer-mask by clicking on the layer-mask icon at the base of the layers-palette.
8. Move the selection to the side-ways where you want the pixel-effect, using the move tool.
9.Once you move the selection, set the foreground color to black, and use the bucket tool to paint the selection.
10. Now add a layer-mask to layer-1-copy.
11. Select the brush tool from the toolbar. Select the square-brushes from the settings of the brush –tool.
12. Set the size of the brush according to the pixel you want to create. Also, you can increase or decrease the size of the brush by ‘[’ or ‘]’ button on keyboard. Start using the brush on the left side of the image. Keep using the brush until the image looks like this:
13. Now select the layer1 layer-mask from the layers-palette. Set the foreground color to white. Again start painting.
14. In order to give the pixels a good look, change the blending-options by clicking on ‘fx’ at the bottom of layers-palette. From the fly-out menu, select inner-shadow.
15. A dialog box will open. Set the opacity to 22% and the angle to 300.
16. From the style menu present at the left hand side of the dialog box, check the ‘inner-glow’ and ‘drop-shadow’ too. For the inner-glow, set the opacity to 52%.
17. In order to style the drop-shadow, set the opacity to 66% and set the angle to 300.
18. Press ‘OK’. The pixel-explosion effect is ready.