Creating a Book Cover in Adobe Photoshop
This tutorial is about creating a book cover in Photoshop. Making a cover is quite easy as it is the manipulation of pictures and fonts; however, setting the size of the cover according to the book is the real task. Below is the tutorial for a book-cover which is of A4 size. The succeeding image is the book-cover which I will create.
1. Create a new document in Photoshop (File—>New). Set the resolution to 300 ppi as this is the best resolution for printing. Set the width and height of book-cover as per your book size. For this tutorial, I am setting the size of A4. Click ok.
2. The first step is to create a header. Grab the rectangle-marquee tool and select the pixels which you want for header. Set the foreground color to white. Select the paint-bucket tool and click inside the selection
3. Now, set the foreground color to orange.
4. Select the rectangle-marquee tool and select the remaining pixels on the canvas. Using the paint-bucket tool, click inside the selection. It will turn orange.
5. The next step is to add the ellipse shape in the image. Set the foreground color to black. Grab the ellipse tool and draw a small circle. Right-click on the ellipse layer and select rasterize-shape. The shape will be converted into pixels.
6. Now, enter text inside the ellipse. Set the properties of the text from the properties palette of text. Grab the text-tool and write No. and 4 in separate layers so as to format them separately. Set the properties of No as below:
7. Set the properties of 4 as below:
8. The writing will look like this:
9. Now, write the text in the header and give them style.
10. Write some more text. Change the color to the orange – which is also the color of the background layer.
11. Give this text some layer-style so as to brighten its color a bit. From the adjustment palette, select hue-&-saturation. Set the settings according to the below snapshot. Click on the arrow at the bottom of the palette so as to restrict the effect only to the below text layer.
12. The text will now look this:
13. Next step is to write text in the main part of the cover. Select a line tool from the toolbar. Set the foreground color to black and draw a line a little above the middle of the cover. Right-click on the layer thumbnail and select rasterize-shape.
14. Press ‘Ctrl J’ to duplicate the layer. Select the move tool and move the line towards the bottom of the cover.
15. Now, write the text in between the lines. Write two separate words in separate layer i.e. Responsive & Web-Design. Set the font, size and other properties of responsive as the first snapshot and web-design as shown in the second snapshot below.
16. The cover will now like this:
17. Now, write the author’s name above the line. Set the properties according to the snapshot
18. Enter additional information below the line and set the settings as below:
19. The book-cover will now be looking like this:
The book cover is ready. Save the image.