Creating a Ghostly Portrait in Adobe Photoshop
The below tutorial is about creating a ghostly portrait using Photoshop. I have created it using two images, incorporating them and by giving them effects. It’s not that difficult. Let’s start.
1. Open both images i.e. the inside-house-image and the lady-in-white in Photoshop.
2. The next step is to erase the background of the lady-in-white. For this, select the quick selection tool from the toolbar.
3. Drag the selection tool over the lady-in-white body. Make sure the whole lady is selected.
4. Right click on it to and click on layer-via-copy.
5. A new layer will be created on which there will be only this selection. Right-click on the thumbnail of the layer and click on convert-to-smart-object.
6. A small icon will be created at the right bottom of the layer thumbnail. Now, if you readjust the size of the lady, the pixels won’t destroy.
7. Select the marquee tool from the toolbar. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘A’ to select the whole image.
8. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘C’ to copy the image. Now, go to the inside-home image and press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘V’.
9. In order to resize the image, press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘T’. Now, you can transform the image easily. Set the image in the doorway.
10. Give this layer effect and lower its opacity. There is an icon ‘fx’ at the bottom of the layers palette. Click on it. Select the outer-glow from the options.
11. A window will open. Click ok.
12. Lower the opacity of this layer to 68% from the layers palette.
13. The image will look like this:
14. Add the adjustment layer from the adjustment panel. Click on hue & saturation icon on the palette.
15. Set the value of hue to 18 and saturation to 17. Check the colorize option.
16. Create another adjustment layer of vibrance.
17. Set the value of vibrance to 84 and saturation to -55.
18. Create a new pattern filled layer. Go to the layers tab in the tab menu. Roll over the mouse on new-fill-layer and select pattern from the fly-out menu.
19. Click ok in the dialog box.
20. Another window will open. Set the scale value to 298. Click ok.
21. Lower the opacity of this layer to 7%.
22. Select the layer 0 thumbnail from the layers palette. Duplicate it by pressing ‘Ctrl’ + ‘J’. Drag this new layer at the top of all the layers.
23. Apply the fiber filter. Go to the filter tab on the main menu. From the drop-down menu, roll the mouse over render and select the fiber from the fly-out menu.
24. From the window, select the settings of the vibrance and its strength to apply on the layer.
25. Change the blending mode of this layer to ‘multiply’. Also, lower the opacity to 25% of this layer.
26. The image will now look like this:
27. Create a new adjustment layer i.e. layers. Click on the layers icon from the adjustment palette.
28. Set the values of the slider according to the below snapshot.
29. This will brighten up the image a little bit.
The ghostly portrait is ready.