Creating & Adding Bubbles in Picture using Photoshop
This tutorial is about adding the bubbles in the images. It describes the making of a bubble brush which once saved can be used customarily on any image and for any intensity. Let’s begin!
Following are the steps for creating & adding bubbles in picture.
1. The first step is to make a bubble brush. Create a new document. Go to file tab in the menu bar and select new. Set the values for width & height to 600 and resolution to 72.
5. The next step is to stylize the bubble circle. Select the layer 1 thumbnail in the layers palette by clicking on it. At the base of the layers palette, there is an icon for layer styling. Click on it. Select the inner glow from the pop out menu of the icon.
6. A window will open with a lot of options to set. First of all, change the blend mode in the structure box to ‘multiply’. Multiply will convert the glow into the inner shadow. Change the color to black, in case any other color is selected. This will be done by clicking on the color. Choose black from the color picker window. And, in the end, change the size to 40px in the elements box.
7. Click OK.
9. The layer style window will open. Set your settings as in the screenshot below. The black and white gradient is usually already set. But in the case you find your gradient colors other than black and white, click anywhere on the gradient bar. An editor window will open. Choose black & white from presets. Also, set the style to radial.
11. In order to set this gradient inner circle to the upper side of the bubble, double-click on the gradient overlay effect in the layers palette right below the layer-1 layer.
12. The layer-style window will open. Drag the window aside to work on the bubble. Now, click on the center of the gradient inner circle. Hold the mouse and move it to the upper left corner of the bubble.
13. In the next step, I will add a highlight within the bubble using brush tool. For this, create a new layer by clicking on the new layer icon at the base of layers palette. Place this layer above the layer1.
16. The next step involves flattening this new dot on the bubble. Make sure that the in the layers palette, layer2 is selected. Now press ‘Ctrl’ and click on layer1. The selection in the layer 1 will get selected automatically. You can now see the dotted boundary line outside the bubble.
17. Now apply the filter to the dot in layer 2. Go to the filter tab in Photoshop. Click on distort and select pinch from the fly-out menu.
18. Click on pinch. A window will open displaying the dot. Below the window, there is a slider. Move the pointer to the left end. The dot will get flattened like this.
20. Now, the sample bubble is ready. Save this as a brush for later use. Go to edit tab in the menu bar. Select Define-Brush-Preset from the dropdown menu.
21. In a dialog box, write the name of the brush. For this brush preset, I will use the name ‘Bubble’. Click ok.
22. The purpose of this new document is fulfilled as soon as the new brush preset has been saved. So, close this document. Now, I will use this brush in an underwater picture to create bubble effect. Open the picture in Photoshop. I am going to work on the below picture.
24. Select the brush tool from the toolbar of Photoshop. Select the new preset from the option toolbar below the main menu.
25. Press F5 to open the brushes panel.
26. The first option in the window is of size. Change the jitter size to 100%. There is another option of roundness jitter. Change its size to 100% too. It will give the bubbles of unequal roundness.
28. Press F5 to make the brush panel disappear. Now it’s time to apply the brush on the image. Set the foreground color to white.
30. Duplicate this layer by pressing ‘Ctrl + J. On this new layer, apply the blur filter. Go to the filter tab in the menu bar. From the fly-out menu of blur, choose the Gaussian blur.
31. Click on Gaussian blur filter. A dialog box will open. Change the radius to 8px.
32. Click OK. The bubble will get little blurry. It will add the glow around the bubbles.
33. Here is the successful addition of bubbles in the picture.