How to Design a CD Cover in Adobe Photoshop
Photoshop can be used to design CD covers, magazine covers, billboard designs, flyers, brochures and for so many other things. In this tutorial, I am going to describe the procedure of designing the CD cover. The process is lengthy but once, you are done, you will be amazed with the level of creativity you can achieve using Photoshop.
1. I am going to use two images for designing the CD cover for Madonna songs. For this, I will use two images.
2. Open the Madonna image in Photoshop (File tab –>open). Now, open the puzzle image. Photoshop will open the second image in another file. In order to bring this new image onto the new layer. Select the marquee tool from the toolbar.
3. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘A’. It will select the whole image. Now press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘C’. The shortcut will copy the image. Go to the Madonna image and press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘V’. It will paste the image in a new layer onto the Madonna layer.
4. As you can see, due to the different sizes of the images, the puzzle needs to be readjusted. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘T’. Move the edges of the puzzle and readjust on the image so as the center block part of the puzzle appears on the face of Madonna. Lower the opacity to 47% from the slider at the top of the layers palette.
5. The next step is to adjust the Madonna layer. Select the thumbnail of Madonna layer from the layers palette. From the adjustment palette (present above the layers palette, if not go to windows—>adjustments), click on exposure.
6. From the properties window, move the sliders of exposure, offset, and gamma-correction. Set the values according to your image. For this image, I will use the following set values.
7. Now, click on gradient-map from the adjustment palette.
8. From the properties window, select the gradient ‘blue, red, yellow’.
9. The image will now look like this:
10. Add another adjustment layer i.e. layers from the adjustment palette.
11. Move the middle slider towards right in the properties window.
12. The image will now look like this:
13. Now, the next step is to adjust the puzzle layer. Select the thumbnail of layer 1 from the layers palette. Click on vibrance icon from the adjustment palette.
14. Increase the vibrance and decrease the saturation.
15. In the layers palette, press ‘Alt’ and click on layer 1. This will restrict the effect to the below layer only.
16. Select the curves from the adjustment palette.
17. Move the middle of the curve downwards a bit.
18. In the layers palette, press ‘Alt’ and click on the layer below. Select the brightness & contrast icon from the layers palette.
19. Increase the brightness from the properties window.
20. Press ‘Alt’ and click on the layer below. The image will look like this:
21. It almost looks like the CD cover. Now I will enter some text in the image. Select the text tool from the toolbar.
22. Type Madonna on the canvas. Set the font and size of the text from the option bar below the main menu.
23. Write Madonna on the canvas.
24. Right click on the text layer and click on rasterize text from the fly-out menu.
25. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘I’ to invert the image.
26. Select the marquee tool from the tool bar.
27. Make a rectangle around the writing.
28. Select the move tool from the toolbar.
29. Slightly move the text. It will select the exact text pixels.
30. Now, reduce the fill option of the layer to 0 from the layers palette. The text will disappear.
31. Now, create a new fill layer. Go to layer tab in the main menu. Roll over your mouse on the new fill layer, and click on solid color.
32. A dialog box will open. Click ok. Another window will open. select the color black and click ok.
33. Select the thumbnail of the layer-mask from the layers palette.
34. Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘I’ to inverse the selection. The canvas will now look like this:
35. Select the brush tool from the toolbar. Set the foreground color to black.
36. Select the hard mechanical brush from the preset. Set the size of the brush according to the canvas.
37. Start painting on the canvas. Paint all the area except the writing.
38. From the preset, select the thick heavy brushes.
39. Select the flat bridge brush from the window.
40. Now use this brush to paint around the Madonna writing carefully.
41. The perfect CD cover is now ready.