Retro Comic Book Effect in Photoshop
So I’m here and I’ll teach you how to give a Retro Comic Book Effect in Photoshop. Just follow each and every step carefully no need to hesitate or rushing over tutorial. Its made specially for you even if you are a beginner. I know you can make it easily. (Almost every step contains picture and they can guide you to perform well…).
1. Open Photoshop (In XP: Start>>Programs >> Adobe Photoshop CSx) (Win 7: Start>>All Programs and Adobe Photoshop CSx)
2. Now open the your considered picture by Tool Bar>>File>>Open (now select the picture you want to edit and open it).
3. “REMEBER to leave the background layer empty (Important)”
4. Now cut the picture by Selecting ALL (Ctrl+A) and Cut (Ctrl+X)
5. After it insert new layer by ( Layer>> New>> layer) Or you can follow up the shortcut (shift+ctrl+N) Or just see below the “background layer” at bottom (Second last option).
6. When new layer is inserted just Paste the cut image by (Ctrl+v)
7. Now you are ready to work on the picture.
8. Now go to Tool Bar>>Image>>Adjustments>>Levels
9. Now do the settings as done in Example picture.
10. Now go to Tool Bar>>Artistic>>Film Grain.
11. Now do the following settings.
12. Now click on the currently working layer and right-click on it and select Duplicate Layer.
13. Now Name it “Working”
14. Now go to Tool Bar>>Filter>>Pixelate>>Color Halftone.
15. Now this will appears, make the following settings.
16. Now in the Layer Column, and being on the “working” layer you will see an option drop down menu. Its written Normal there just change it to Darken.
17. Now insert a new Layer. and select the “Rectangle Tool” from Tools.
18. Now create a rectangle on the bottom side of Image as done in Example Picture. And after it right click on the shape and select “Make Selection”.
19. Make the Feather Radius to “0”.
20. Now select the “Gradient Tool” from Tools and draw a line on that shape which you have created before.
21. Now go to Tool Bar>>Layer>>Layer Style>>Gradient Overlay.
22. Now do the following settings.
23. When done select the “Horizontal Type Tool” from Tools and add some text to that Bar.
24. Now insert a New layer. and add up an another bar, right-click and “Make selection”.
25. Make Feather Radius to “0”.
26. Now select “Gradient Tool” from Tools to color.
27. Again go to Tool Bar>>Layer>>Layer Style>>Gradient Overlay. And do these settings as done in Example Picture.
28. Now insert a New Layer and go to Same option… Tool Bar>>Layer>>Layer Style>>Gradient Overlay. And click-check on these followings. (See Example Picture).
29. Now select the “Rectangle Tool” from Tools and create a side Bar. Right click on it and select Make Selection.
30. Make Feather radius to “0”.
31. Now copy these bars by pressing Copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V).
32. To Rotate the Bars use Free Transform (Ctrl+T). Or go to Tool Bar>>Edit Free Transform.
33. When all your stuffs done. Select the “Arrow Key” from Tools. And right click on it to see which work is on which layer. Select it and move it as to your requirements.
34. Now select the Rectangular Shaped layers one by one and use the “Eraser Tool” from Tools and start erasing the bars to give some good effects. (HINT: See Example Picture).
35. Finally save it to disk (File>>Save As) and name it, Or save it on the JPEG or BMP format. (For final looks).